There are 2 Billion Whatsapp users around the globe. WhatsApp is available in more than 180 countries and 60 different languages. Instant messaging has become the go-to way of communicating for all of us.
Well, if it’s so big and widely popular —you’re probably wondering—why bother looking for alternatives?
It could be that you run a business and Whatsapp is not necessarily professional for communication. You find it noisy, cluttered, and filled with spam messages. Or maybe you are looking for a productivity tool that allows chat but comes with a lot more features relevant to your business needs. Whatever be the case, take a look at these top 9 Whatsapp alternatives for your business in 2021.
Why do you need an alternative for Whatsapp for Business communication?
Customers demand the ability to communicate with brands instantly. Thus, the popularity of using messaging today to connect with companies is undisputed.
In January 2018, WhatsApp launched WhatsApp Business for small business use. WhatsApp Business was designed with the small, local business in mind. It has features which help micro and small businesses get a business presence on WhatsApp and communicate with customers on their favorite messenger app. It is basically an upgraded WhatsApp and has additional features compared to the standard app. Although WhatsApp is great for communicating with friends and family, there are many reasons why using WhatsApp for workplace communication is a very bad idea.
Here are just a few.
- It has a single stream of chat and cannot be organized by topic.
- It is only a chat platform and lacks features specific to your business needs .
- Every Mobile number of users in a Whatsapp group is visible for the rest to see.
- WhatsApp groups are limited in size to 256.
- It does not provide business-grade support or account management.
- It has no admin dashboard for business intelligence.
- When you join a WhatsApp group you can’t see any content from before joining.
- In WhatsApp, the group joining/leaving experience is very abrupt.
- WhatsApp’s web version is limited and only works in the presence of your phone.
- You can’t edit content in WhatsApp, nor delete it after one hour.
- It has no profiles so unless you know someone, you don’t know anything about them.
- It is reliant on (increasingly overwhelming) mobile push notifications which many users find irritating.
- WhatsApp has no reactions for messages.
- It is introducing adverts on the status screen which some people find annoying or intrusive.
- It is not compliant with privacy legislation like GDPR. It is within every international company’s best interest to use applications that comply with GDPR.
Let us get down to it.
What Whatsapp alternatives are available for your business
1) Onne for Business
Onne is a simpler and organised way to do business. It is a lightweight replacement for chat, mails and many stand alone apps to organise, automate and engage with your users better. With Onne App, you can communicate, remind, report, store and more, from one app. A suite of productivity features helps you to improve customer engagement. Onne talk is the chat feature of Onne which allows you to have one on one chat or group chats with your users, in addition to using all the productivity tools it comes with.
Onne for Business App is essentially one seamless platform which provides a set of free and paid productivity tools. Onne talk, the chat feature is part of the free plan. Onne also offers unlimited storage and file sharing options. Using Onne talk along with the other features provided by the app, will ease your way to lead a balanced and organised work life.
Onne App Features and Benefits
- Easy UI with 24*7 customer support
- Complete user privacy with mobile numbers hidden from each other
- No one from outside can connect with you unless they are added to the business app by the user or owners/admins
- Helps to separate work from personal chat platforms
- One-on-One chat and group chat available with threaded messages
- Can check whether the messages are delivered or read
- No ads
- Unlimited storage facility
- Share PDFs, images, videos, and other files directly
- Instant and real time notifications
- Can manage members and users
- Suite of free productivity tools available inside the Onne app
- Tools like Posts, Alerts, Events, Invoice, etc can be used for free
- Payment collection and automated reminders
- Zoom is integrated within Onne which can be used for video conferences
- Can share important events or notifications outside the app as an attachment to various social media platforms
Cons of Onne for Business
- Not a collaboration tool. It is a productivity focussed app
Slack is the single workspace that connects you with the people and tools you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. With Slack you get real-time messaging through calls and chat, a searchable record of all your files and conversations, and integrations with a growing number of handy bots and apps. Many teams throughout the world have been using it to improve team communication and efficiency.
- Handles all aspects of internal conversations, from file sharing to team alerts and huddles, video and voice calls to Q&A moderation forums
- Share channels with people you regularly work with
- Drag-and-drop PDFs, images, videos, and other files directly into Slack
- The Slack App Directory has over 1,500 apps you can integrate into Slack
- Real-time notifications and desktop-friendly application
- Slack can save conversation history for group threads or one on one conversations
Cons of Slack
- Conversations get deleted after 14 days
- There is minimum file storage
- Slack can be confusing and overwhelming
- It doesn’t tell you if a message has been read or by whom
- Its paid features are expensive, very limited free features are available
Discord, is a popular group-chatting app, which was originally made to give gamers a place to build communities and talk. It is a voice, video and text communication service used by over a hundred million people to hang out and talk with their friends and communities.
Available on multiple platforms
- A user can also create their own channels using the Discord interface and invite users to join
- Specific channels for text and voice chat make planning and holding meetings easy
- can share pictures, video, and your desktop screen on Discord
- Most Discord services are completely free of charge
- QR facility is available
- There is a limit on users and channels
- Integration with other services and applications is not available
- Video and call quality is not upto the standards
- Hard to learn
- Discord takes up a fair amount of RAM
- Search function is not the best
- It is a social media site, which means it attracts its fair share of trolls and unethical users
Chanty is an easy-to-use team chat app that lets your team communicate and collaborate more quickly and efficiently. Chanty brings all aspects of communication together: chat, audio and video calls, and screen sharing.
- Simple, clean, and easy app for team communication
- Teambook concept with team members, conversations, tasks, and shared content Notifications, silent and Do not disturb mode.
- Ability to manage members and conversations, share links and files with previews, watch media content in-app
- You can create closed team spaces
- Add free
- You can’t send SMS messages or make landline calls
- Not ideal for large teams
- In its free plan there is a limit of 10 users and 10 GB of storage per team.
- Lack of custom emojis and advanced customization
- It lacks integration with third party apps
- Very less features available
ProofHub is a team communication software that brings all your project communications together in one place. It is the perfect place for every conversation and brings sanity to the way your teams communicate within an office or with clients.
- One-on-one chat to bring clarity in office conversations
- Group chat to work together, collaborate, and get things done
- Create discussions to brainstorm, discuss topics with remote members
- @mention team members to loop in whenever, wherever you want
- Not user friendly
- Too many notifications
- Does not have budget, invoicing, and resource management tools
- No folder system available to segregate files
- Limited customisation options available
Flock is a communication and collaboration app for modern teams and businesses. Flock empowers teams by providing them with a slew of in-built productivity tools such as shared notes, reminders, to-dos, polls. Users can talk to remote teams over audio and video calls. Screen sharing allows teams to collaborate and share information better. Flock also comes deeply integrated with Google Drive. Other popular third-party integrations include- Google Calendar, Analytics, JIRA, Asana, Github, Twitter, Facebook, and lots more. Flock’s App Store allows teams to plug apps into Flock and eliminate the need to switch between multiple tools to get work done.
- The simple interface made it easier to use the features
- Available across all platforms
- File sharing was made simple
- Channel messaging
- Direct messaging
- Video conferencing
- Guest users
- Voice notes
- Integrated search
- Company directories
- Mailcast app
- Me channel
- Less secure
- Video call feature is not that great
- Previous messages are deleted after a few days
- Limited customization options
- Task Management feature not available
Ryver is a platform that innovates the way internal communication is done in modern businesses. It unifies chat efficiency and threaded discussions’ clarity effectively into one package. The combination results in a seamless cloud solution that delivers a unique and new approach that enables more flexible and faster communication and collaboration of companies.
- Full Functionality on All Devices
- Post Stream
- Create Teams
- Post Reminders
- Public & Private Chats
- Global Search
- Logging into the app takes a while
- The chat tends to confuse, about which department, activity or group is talking
- Replying to a message in a team channel is very messy, it carries the complete messages previously relating to it
- Does not have end call option, in case you accidentally dial
- After the software automatically updates you have to log in again
- User interface need improvements
Flowdock is a hub for social team collaboration that enables a variety of inbox and chatting features for business teams or development groups. With more than 35 integrations, Flowdock allows a company to sneak a peak in literally every communication pattern, and to make the most of its team’s efforts to enhance productivity.
- Multiple Chat Flows
- Drag and Drop Feature
- Team Inbox
- Audio Notifications for Desktop/Mobile Users
- Threaded Chat
- Status Updates
- RSS Reader
- Custom Content
- Manual/Automated Data Backup
- Top Grade Security
- Too much of notifications
- Too many bugs
- Free only for small teams, non-profits, or students
- Lack of multi-individual direct messages. The mobile app experience is not that nice
- Search is confusing and shows too many results
- The mobile app crashes many times
Tox Chat is a new instant messaging platform. Its features are pretty standard when it comes to the industry, allowing users to talk to people anywhere in the world, set up topic-based group chats, share their screens and any files, and have video and voice chatting for free.
- Completely decentralized
- There is, for all intents and purposes, no company that can be attacked
- User lists are distributed and shared across the network itself, personally identifiable information phone numbers, email addresses, etc. are needed to make an account
- Fully open-source, so developers can take the Tox protocol and build upon it as they like
- Usernames are random numbers and letters
- Finding a user on the network can take time since there is no central repository.
- Chat and voice services are very buggy.
- It is still in the development stage so misses important features.
While none of these apps will match the user base that WhatsApp boasts of, they are much better and an efficient alternative as fast as features and productivity is concerned. Enterprises need to wake up to the reality of using consumer-grade apps like WhatsApp for official purposes and embrace the natural choice of an enterprise-level secure, convenient and focused WhatsApp alternative app.
Onne Business App is an alternative for Whatsapp which not only provides a chat platform but also gives features that will help improve the productivity of your business. It helps save time by providing all the features in a single platform with other third party apps integrated as well. The app is very clean and simple to use, with a lot of features provided for free of cost. We do not incur any hidden charges, charges per user or charge for storage . It is an economical app suitable for all kinds of business.